White Hands Environmental Society of Jordan (WHE) was founded on the basis of the initiative group formed by Nura Abboud in Oct 2006. "White Hands" group was registered as NGO under the ministry of the Environment on the 17th of February, 2011.
WHE is the first and the only NGO specialized in microbial biodiversity in the Middle East
To be a world class environmental NGO researching, sustainable use , and conservation of Jordan's natural environment in general and the Microbial biodiversity in specific to safeguard it for future generations.
To conserve the microbial biodiversity and Jordanian nature , as well as participating in improvement of the Jordanian Environment throughout the scientific research integration, traditional knowledge investment, and with enhancing the environmental awareness among the society in general and the women and youth in specific
Our strategic goals include:
1. Research the biodiversity of Jordan’s native microorganisms to rescue them from extinction, counter invasive microorganism species, discover new properties useful to humans, and explore their use as indicators in environmental monitoring.
2. Collaborate with government agencies in rehabilitating environmentally damaged areas in Jordan while conducting research and encouraging local involvement
3. In coordination with the meant authorities we are aiming to participate in the rehabilitation of the environmentally damaged hot spots in Jordan, while seeking to develop local accumulated scientific and cognitive experiences.
4. Foster environmental awareness in Jordanian society, with special emphasis on empowering youth and women to participate in environmental protection efforts.
5. Discover locally and culturally appropriate responses to environmental problems through research, studies, and community surveys.
The NGO has formed 3 teams:
1. Microbial Biodiversity team
2. Back to Green Jordan team
3. Youth environmental leader team
“Civilization is measured by what one contributes to culture, not by what one takes from others” Hassan Fathy
The widespread in globalization and patterns of population during the second half of the twentieth century worldwide, led to a dramatic changes in all forms of Mankind activities, which expectedly led to increase the pressure on the usage of natural resources and produces an ever-growing quantities of wastes. One of the most important elements of the modern civilization is sustainable development. In Jordan, there is a need to foster an approach to ensure Jordan’s socioeconomic development in equilibrium with environment without depleting the natural resources of water, land, air and biodiversity, and with optimal use of the each one .Environmental protection is not only a responsibility of the government and the ministry of environment ,it is also a central responsibility of numerous stalk holders including key players in the field of development sectors such as the water, agriculture, tourism, industry, energy, transport, and trade sectors.
Today, we are in deep need to modern economical techniques derived from our heritage, compatible with our civilization, identity, modernity and the climate of our country, In order to give practical solutions of our environmental problems in Jordan it is important that those solutions are fitting our cultural background and is coming from our heritage which should be merged with the modern knowledge. We have to focus on the environmental dimension to maintain the balance between it and the development ,in the form that is fitting the esteem which we aspire regionally and internationally , and in consistent with the beliefs of Islam, which state to preserve the balanced relationship with the rest of the elements of creation.